MERIDIAN, Miss. -- Valdosta State's softball team stayed alive in the Gulf South Conference tournament here Saturday with a surprising result.
VSU (30-34) eliminated No. 7 Alabama-Huntsville, 2-0. It was the first time UAH had ever gone 0-2 in the GSC tournament.
VSU's second elimination game vs. Arkansas-Monticello set for later Saturday was postponed due to rain. The two teams will meet at a time to be determined this morning.
West Florida defeated Southern Arkansas, 3-0, to be the lone unbeaten team in the tournament. Henderson State will play Delta State in the other rain-delayed elimination game this morning.
A tournament champion will be determined later in the day.
The Blazers got all the runs they would need in the first. Linsey Walker (2-for-2) doubled home Kelly Summers (walk), then scored on an infield throwing error.
Jessie Ortiz also had two hits.
Brooke King pitched the complete-game shutout, allowing seven hits and two walks. She struck out three.
React to this story:
- More than 700 Lowndes students quarantined
- Valdosta bike rider killed in Brooks accident
- Berrien teen dies in wreck
- Living a Long Life: Valdosta woman turns 106
- Health officials warn of Lowndes virus increase
- Man dies after fleeing law enforcement
- Lowndes head coach tests positive for COVID
- GBI called out to death investigation in Brooks County
- Lowndes COVID cases continue to rise
- Authorities probe four unsolved S.Ga. homicides