ATLANTA -- Valdosta, Georgia, get ready for a state championship game!

Valdosta High won a spot in the Class AAAAA state championship game with a 21-6 victory over Westside Macon Saturday night in the semifinals at the Georgia Dome.

The AAAAA state championship game will now return to the Wildcats' storied Cleveland Field. Valdosta (11-3) will host Camden County (14-0), a 20-10 winner over Newnan late Friday night, next Saturday night.

Valdosta used two long touchdown passes, a clutch third-down touchdown run and maybe its best defensive effort of the season to defeat a dangerous Westside team -- and win its 10th straight game.

Valdosta shocked most of the Georgia Dome with a first-half explosion, jumping out to a 21-0 halftime lead. The Cedrics led the Wildcat charge. Hatten hooked up with Hill on touchdown passes of 74 and 61 yards. Victor Harrell also scored on a 10-yard run.

Midway through the first quarter, Valdosta got on the board, going 59 yards in six plays. On the first play, Willie Cowart dashed 33 yards up the middle to the Westside 24. The Wildcats moved to the 10, then on 3rd-and-9, Harrell cut around the end and dashed across the goal line for the touchdown. Matt King's extra point gave the Wildcats a 7-0 lead.

Valdosta's next possession lasted just one play. Hatten faked the handoff, dropped back, and threw over the middle for Hill. The big tight end was behind two defenders, caught the ball, and took off running. Hill sprinted down the field and into the end zone for a 74-yard touchdown catch, giving the Wildcats a 13-0 lead with 1:57 left in the first quarter.

Early in the second quarter, Hatten to Hill victimized the Seminoles again. This time, Hill caught a slant pass on the run, and took off. Just past the 50, Hill changed direction, cut back inside, eluded a defender, then once again used his great speed to outrun the secondary for the touchdown.

On the extra point, the Wildcats lined up in the swinging gate, as they usually do. But instead of shifting into kicking position, they snapped the ball to Cowart, who ran left behind a wall of blockers, and crossed the goal line to give the Wildcats a two-point conversion, and a 21-0 lead.

At the end of the first half, Westside had a golden opportunity, but came up empty. After King's 27-yard field goal attempt was blocked, Westside took over, and moved the ball with plays of 21, 21, 23, 14, and nine yards, moving to the VHS 4. But the WIldcats drove the Seminoles backwards from there, keyed by Dewayne Williams' sack of Bobby Stewart at the 15. Stewart's pass on fourth down fell incomplete, and the half ended 21-0 Valdosta.

The Wildcats didn't score in the second half, but they did something almost as important -- they killed large portions of the clock. Twice the Wildcats drove inside the 20 on long drives, which ended with King missing a field goal and a fake field goal run being stopped, but Westside still found itself running out of time each time they got the ball back.

Westside got its only points of the game midway through the fourth quarter. Wanza Williams took the handoff on a misdirection counter play, and dashed 56 yards for the touchdowns, eluding a couple of tacklers along the way. But the extra point try hit the upright, and the score remained 21-6.

From there, the Wildcats continued to kill time off the clock when they were on offense, and bend but not break on defense.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you