BRUNSWICK -- They didn't want to do it this way, but once again it worked.
Lowndes High's boys tennis teams won all three singles matches to claim a 3-2 win over Glynn Academy in the second round of the Class AAAAA state tennis tournament.
Lowndes will play McIntosh, a 4-1 winner over Tift County, in the quarterfinals next week. The match is supposed to be played by Tuesday.
That winner goes to the semifinal round at Stone Mountain next weekend.
This one was a little more dramatic. The match came down to James Rich at No. 3 singles, said LHS coach Heath Phelps.
Rich lost the first set, 0-6, but won the second set, 6-1. He was up 4-2, then went down 6-5 and fought off three match points.
Near a medical forfeit due to cramps, Rich got the third set into a tiebreaker, where he won 7-5.
Caleb Badley and Daniel Griffin won their singles matches in straight sets.
n Berrien High's girls will play their quarterfinal match in the Class AA state tennis playoffs at 10 a.m. Monday in Nashville. The opponent will be Jeff Davis.
React to this story:
- Election board disqualifies Harden
- Complaint: Racial retaliation follows principal's police brutality email
- Felton named Wildcats head coach
- Saving Moody: Thirty years ago, S.Ga. fought to keep base open
- Body found in Lowndes river
- Business Briefs
- RICHARDS: Business About Town
- RICE: Qualified or not, stop moving goal post
- Harden disqualified from school board election
- Man arrested in fatal weekend shooting