Both Lowndes High and Valdosta High will send a group of athletes to this week's GHSA Class AAAAA state track and field championships in Jefferson.
The competition begins Thursday with field event competition and the finals in the 1600 meters.
First up will be Lowndes High's Michael Warren, who will compete in the pole vault at noon. At 2 p.m., Bryan Tillman will compete in the triple jump and Cory Clemons will compete in the discus.
Tillman returns to action in the long jump at 6 p.m. At 7:30 p.m., Lowndes High's Craigory Whiting will run his 1600 meters final.
On Friday, both LHS and VHS will have someone in all eight qualifying events and the 3200 meter final (Whiting at 6:25 p.m.)
The day begins at noon with the 4x100 meter relay, where Lowndes qualified one team. This is followed by the 400 meters (VHS' Martain Brown, 12:55 p.m.), the 100 meters (VHS' Cedric Hatten, 1:45 p.m.), the 110 meter hurdles (VHS' D'Angelo Berry and LHS' Sam Clemons, 2:35 p.m.), the 800 meters (LHS' Christopher Torres and Kevin Riley, 3:25 p.m.), the 200 meters (VHS' Jalil Smith, 4:30 p.m.), the 300 meter hurdles (Berry, 5:20 p.m.), the 3200 meters final (Whiting) and the 4x400 relay (two Lowndes teams, 7:40 p.m.).
The top eight qualifiers from Friday moved into Saturday's finals which begin with the opening ceremonies at noon.
React to this story:
- Georgia COVID-19 restrictions extended again
- Man arrested after shots fired into cars, apartment
- Game On: Gamers wait hours for latest consoles
- UPDATE: Tornado Warning expires
- Valdosta police officers bitten, kicked while making arrest
- Valdosta man arrested after high-speed car chase
- Pair arrested for drugs, card fraud during traffic stop
- Valdosta police still seek missing mother, son
- Lowndes adds 10 COVID-19 cases, SGMC reports five deaths
- Sherman's 3 TDs leads Valdosta past Lovejoy; Propst notches 300th win