Lowndes' Pat O'Neal required a sudden-death playoff hole to win the Region 1-AAAAA boys golf tournament. The Viking took the golf medal with a 74, but not before a 19th hole with Tift County's Jake Stewart.
O'Neal knocked in a birdie on the first sudden-death hole to win the tournament and earn a berth to the 36-hole state championship May 9 at Oleander Golf Course in Jekyll Island.
Vipers win Rose City tourney
The GYSA U-12 Valdosta Vipers took the Rose City Spring Soccer Tournament Crown April 17th in Thomasville. The Vipers overcame an opening game loss to Tallahassee United (5-2) by sweeping games against Cairo (5-0) and Moultrie (6-0) to earn another shot Tallahassee for the championship.
Noah Bachman put the loan goal in the net in the 45th minute on an assist from Stephens Griner to win the game.
The Vipers return to GYSA Spring Season action May 7 and 8 with consecutive games against USA Revolution of Thomaston (in Hahira) and the season finale in Macon versus Hearts. The Vipers can clinch the outright South Division title with a win against USA.
React to this story:
- SGMC reports three deaths
- Gilyard appears to have won school board seat
- Teen suspect in Valdosta slaying surrenders
- Marine coming home for promotion ceremony
- Omega Essay Contest winners awarded
- Four teens indicted for murder in Lowndes County
- Man charged in chase that wrecked police car
- Three in Tifton indicted in forced labor scheme
- Fauci: 1st US case of COVID-19 omicron variant identified
- Vikings' season ends with 49-7 loss to No. 1 Collins Hill