Lowndes wrestler in state semifinals
At the Macon Coliseum, Lowndes High's David Hernandez advanced to the semifinals of the GHSA's Class AAAAA state wrestling tournament Friday night.
Hernandez will wrestle an East Coweta wrestler in the 103-pound class at 10 a.m. today.
Josh Key (112 pounds) advanced into the fourth round of the consolation bracket.
Soccer: LHS girls defeat Glynn, 4-1
At Martin Stadium, Amber Elam's corner kick in the 56th minute broke a 1-1 tie, and Lowndes High's girls went on to defeat Glynn Academy, 4-1, here Friday night.
Scoreless at the half, Lowndes (2-0) took a lead on Alison Jones' goal in the 43rd minute. Amber Elam assisted on the play.
After Glynn tied the match in the 52nd minute, the Elam sisters combined for the goal-ahead goal. Ashley Elam took the corner.
Ashley Elam was in on the last two goals, assisting on Sam McCoy's goal in the 63rd minute. Ashley Elam scored off McCoy's assist in the 66th minute.
Lowndes is on the road next weekend, playing at Ware County Friday and at Richmond Hill Saturday.
React to this story:
- BREAKING: Former Valdosta coach Propst hospitalized
- Police: Man dies in Valdosta shooting
- Teen injured in drive-by shooting
- Lowndes High construction delayed
- Vikings blank 'Cats for fifth straight Winnersville win
- $1K bonus available to public safety employees across Georgia
- A Classic Encounter: Valdosta, Lowndes face off for 60th time
- Police arrest man in Fry Street killing
- Families, witnesses detail toxic conditions at Georgia prisons
- Six arrested in Echols drug raid