VALDOSTA -- It was another weekday game for the Valdosta State baseball team. With another all-to-familiar result.
The Blazers fell short in a hard-fought game Tuesday night at Billy Grant Field against the Golden Rams of Albany State, falling 12-5 in the last regular-season home game.
"I was really worried that we might win this ballgame. That had me a little worried because we are not supposed to win any games during the week to do well on the weekend," VSU head coach Tommy Thomas said tongue-in-cheek.
Valdosta State has lost eight of its last nine weekday non-conference games. in the same stretch, the Blazers have won 13-of-18 Gulf South East games to tie for the division lead.
Nickolas Kitchens started on the mound for the Blazers, going 2 2/3 innings and allowing the first two runs to cross the plate. Thomas brought in Mason Smith with runners on second and third and two outs in the third. Smith escaped the inning and quickly and made it through the next few innings allowing only one run
Then the rest of the Blazer bullpen gave in to the Rams, beginning a three-inning onslaught of runs that stretched their total to 12.
"It is just one of those things where pitching is either on or it's off and tonight it was not really on," Thomas said. "It all boils down to a base on ball here or there. That is what seems to get us each time."
Robert Morgan led the Blazers at the plate going 3-of-4 and adding to his school record with his 28th double.
VSU travels to GSC East co-leader West Florida for a conference series this weekend. The series will likely determine who will win the conference. Both Saturday's doubleheader and Sunday's single game begin at 2 p.m. (ET).
Alabama-Huntsville is also still in the hunt for the conference title, but Sunday's home-game rainout put the Chargers a half-game back of VSU and West Florida at 12-5.
UAH is at North Alabama this weekend.
React to this story:
- Four teens indicted for murder in Lowndes County
- Police seek 'armed and dangerous' murder suspect
- Man charged after high-speed chase through Valdosta
- Police: Teen slain in Valdosta
- UPDATE: Police car involved in accident
- Father-Daughter Dance canceled for 2022
- Man charged in chase that wrecked police car
- Hurricane's Heroics: Hobbled Brown leads Vikings past Blue Devils
- 3 men charged in Ahmaud Arbery's death convicted of murder
- Accidental shooting leaves child dead in Berrien