VALDOSTA -- Florida Southern took a quick 3-0 lead, then rode the pitching of Stacey Bronson and Megan Brown to defeat Valdosta State, 3-1, to open the South Region Crossover Friday afternoon at North Complex.
Much of Friday's schedule was rearranged because of some the fields at Freedom Park were unplayable due to this week's rains. Eight games were rescheduled for the weekend, including Valdosta State's scheduled Friday games with Rollins and Florida Tech.
The tournament continues today and Sunday at Freedom Park.
Florida Southern (7-2) scored a run in the first and two in the third against VSU starter Brooke King. King (1-5) pitched a complete game, allowing five hits and two walks. She struck out two.
Ashley Alpizar's single got the first run, and Stephanie Huber drove home the first run of the third with a single. The last run scored on a VSU throwing error.
Jenny McDuffie (fielder's choice) scored VSU's lone run in the fifth on a throwing error.
Bronson (2-1) allowed two hits and two walks, striking out five in five innings. Brown gave up a hit and a walk, striking out three, in two innings to get the save.
The loss was the eighth-straight for VSU (1-12).
- Police charge sleepy Valdosta driver
- Dancing Stars ready to shine: VSU event raises scholarship dollars
- Lights, Camera, Peaches: Valdosta Mall screens S. Ga films
- Lowndes County Food Scores
- County nixes planned Dollar General
- Recoil unlocks phase four: Arcade opens at trampoline park
- Risky move by Braves to bank on Grissom to play shortstop
- Essence Cody selected for McDonald's All-American Game
- POLING: A Valdostan by any other name
- County breaks ground for interactive park