VALDOSTA -- A Valdosta man died from injuries he sustained when his vehicle collided with a tractor-trailer at West Hill Avenue and North St. Augustine Road on Thursday night.
Brian Christopher Boese, 25, was pronounced dead at the South Georgia Medical Center emergency room, Lowndes Coroner Charles Exum said. The coroner cited severe chest injuries as cause of death.
Boese was the only person in the 1991 Dodge Spirit. Firefighters and EMS technicians had to extricate the victim from his vehicle. He was wearing a seatbelt when the wreck occurred.
Willie Fred Adams, 45, Brundidge, Ala., driver of the 2000 Freightliner which was hauling eggs, reported no injuries.
Adams was traveling west on West Hill Avenue approaching the intersection with North St. Augustine Road about 10:55 p.m. Thursday. He had a green light, and no one was on either side of the intersection, he told Valdosta police.
Adams told police that as he entered the intersection, Boese's vehicle came through the light southbound and in front of his vehicle. Adams said that he tried to steer to avoid the collision but was unable, according to police reports.
A witness said Boese had the green light, and it looked like the tractor-trailer tried to "beat the light," according to the report.
Another witness said he heard brakes lock on the tractor-trailer and saw the two vehicles collide, but didn't see who had the green light.
Results of the blood tests taken on both drivers are pending, the police report said.
The case is still under investigation.
To contact City Editor Heath Griner, please call 244-3400, ext. 274.
React to this story:
- C-SPAN VIDEO: Inauguration; Biden, Harris take oath of office
- Lowndes man pleads guilty to federal firearms charge
- More than 300 quarantined in Lowndes County Schools
- Boat builder bringing 90 jobs to Valdosta
- SGMC reports four virus deaths Thursday
- Drug bust nets suspects from Lowndes, Lanier, Tift counties
- Update: County office temporarily closes for COVID-19 exposure
- South Georgia signs up thousands for vaccine
- City school board extends virus sick leave, tables facilities plan
- Trump pardons ex-strategist Steve Bannon, dozens of others