VALDOSTA -- Warrants were issued Monday for the arrest of a Florida man who was shot after allegedly robbing a Valdosta convenience store Friday.

The suspect, who police have identified as 36-year-old Dennis Dee Scott, was apprehended after involving police in a high-speed chase that ended in gunfire and the recovery of the stolen money.

Capt. J.D. Yeager with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office said Scott is being charged with armed robbery, attempt to elude, auto theft and obstruction of officers.

Scott was transferred to South Georgia Medical Center by ambulance following the incident, where he underwent surgery Friday night.

As far as he knew, Yeager said Scott was still in the hospital and was doing well.

Medical center officials would not comment on Scott's condition Monday afternoon, and a hospital spokesperson stated she "could neither confirm nor deny that (the suspect) was a patient at the hospital."

Around 4:30 p.m. Friday, a Swifty Mart convenience store located in the 1900 block of Baytree Road was robbed. The suspect fled the scene with the stolen money by vehicle and proceeded to head south on I-75, Yeager said earlier.

Yeager said Deputy Jamie Smith identified the suspect's vehicle and followed him as he turned at the Clyattville Road exit and headed toward Valdosta.

Once the suspect realized that law enforcement personnel were on his trail, the chase began as he did a U-turn and headed back toward I-75, Yeager said previously. When he reached the overpass, Yeager said the suspect did a second U-turn over the concrete median and drove the wrong way down the northbound ramp. The suspect then traveled south in the middle of the northbound lane of I-75, causing several traffic accidents, before turning onto Madison Highway, Yeager said.

The deputy remained in pursuit, Yeager said, as the suspect crossed over onto Williams School Road and lost control of his vehicle on the dirt road's initial curve. With the suspect now on foot, Yeager said deputies attempted to subdue him with pepper spray.

However, the suspect jumped into a Georgia State Patrol car on the scene, attempting to pick up where he left off, and crashed into a civilian vehicle, Yeager said.

Authorities have not described the specifics of how Scott was shot and whether the suspect was armed at the time. Law enforcement officials stated that additional information would be released by Georgia State Patrol personnel, who were unavailable for comment Monday.

To contact reporter Jessica Pope, please call 244-3400, ext. 255.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you