VALDOSTA -- Henry Parrish, 73, says he has worn out seven pairs of New Balance tennis shoes on the Valdosta Middle School cinder track, the result of a 22-year habit of visiting the track three or four times a week.
But the eighth pair will have to wait, as Valdosta City Schools officials announced the track will be closed Monday to make way for construction of the new middle school.
"Basically, the site will be off limits," said Valdosta City Schools Director of Operations Bill Aldrich.
Aldrich said the $12 million project to build the new middle school and eventually tear down the old one officially begins Monday, making the track a part of the construction zone.
React to this story:
- Christmas in Valdosta: Parade, Nutcracker, Crescent events this weekend
- SGMC reports three deaths
- Gilyard appears to have won school board seat
- Teen suspect in Valdosta slaying surrenders
- Marine coming home for promotion ceremony
- Omega Essay Contest winners awarded
- Police: Bicyclist killed in accident
- Deputies and clergy man checkpoints
- Fauci: 1st US case of COVID-19 omicron variant identified
- Valdosta attorney running for Superior Court judge