VALDOSTA -- Police say they cracked an ongoing theft ring that targeted possessions left in cars with three arrests and the impending arrest of another suspect.
Markeith Graham, 20, John Smith, 19, and a 16-year-old, all of Valdosta, are in the Lowndes County Jail.
Police are still seeking Danny Swinton, 26, Valdosta, said Lt. Brian Childress, public information officer for the VPD.
Smith and the juvenile are charged with nine counts of entering an auto to commit theft and theft of a motor vehicle, Childress said.
Smith is also charged with three counts and the juvenile with two counts of financial card fraud. Graham is charged with three counts of entering an auto and two counts of financial card fraud.
"These cases occurred primarily at the YMCA, Lowe's Home Improvement and Legend's between Jan. 27 and March 17," Childress said. "The suspects shattered windows and took purses."
Childress said it is extremely important that people put their valuables out of sight when they leave their cars and to be sure to lock the doors.
"Help us do our jobs by not making yourself a target," he said.
Swinton is charged with eight counts of entering an auto and two counts of financial card fraud, but he is still at large, Childress said.
Childress said Swinton is described as 5-feet-11, 160 pounds.
He said that if someone sees Swinton to call 911 or the Valdosta Police Department at (229) 293-3145. If you wish to remain anonymous, call the Crime Tip Line at (229) 293-3091.
To contact Tanya B. O'Berry, call 244-3400, ext. 239.
React to this story:
- Man arrested after shots fired into cars, apartment
- SGMC preps for insurance change
- Game On: Gamers wait hours for latest consoles
- Valdosta police officers bitten, kicked while making arrest
- UPDATE: Tornado Warning expires
- Valdosta police still seek missing mother, son
- GBI: Nashville shooting victim's fatal wound self-inflicted
- Wild Adventures offers Black Friday soda
- Republican state senators call for special session to address election
- Moody airman killed in crash