VALDOSTA -- No one was injured after a vacant home caught fire about 3:30 p.m. Friday on Brookhaven Drive.
Neighbors said the house had been vacant for a few weeks, but that workers had been cleaning up the rental property earlier that day. No one was in the residence at the time of the blaze.
Three Valdosta Fire Department units responded and extinguished the fire within 30 minutes.
Battalion Chief John Wisenbaker said the cause of the fire was still under investigation, but that there were several possibilities. The blaze began on the bathroom floor of the home, and was largely contained to that room.
Wisenbaker estimated total damage at $7,000.
To contact reporter Bill Roberts, please call 244-3400, ext. 245.
React to this story:
- Armed march downtown calls for justice
- Valdosta QB Garcia's eligibility under investigation by GHSA
- Downtown Valdosta will be blocked off for march Saturday
- New chicken eatery expands to Valdosta
- TV series spotlights Wildcats football
- UPDATE: Valdosta couple charged with producing child pornography
- UPDATE: Two arrested, two sought in death of Valdosta teen in Florida
- 'Cat-ching fire: Jones, Valdosta erupt before halftime to rout Bainbridge
- Managing Lowndes: Dukes climbs long ladder to being county manager
- School enrollment down: City, county expect numbers to increase