VALDOSTA — An autopsy is being carried out on a Valdosta State Prison inmate who died earlier this week, according to the county coroner.
Inmate Archer Thomas was found unresponsive in his cell Monday and was taken to South Georgia Medical Center, Lowndes County Coroner Austin Fiveash said.
He died at the hospital that evening, the coroner said.
Thomas' body was sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Dry Branch for an autopsy Wednesday, Fiveash said.
"There was no obvious trauma and no obvious cause of death," he said.
A statement from the Georgia Department of Corrections said Thomas died of "apparent natural causes."
There have been several inmate deaths at Valdosta State Prison in the last year:
• Astair Holmes Jr. died May 26 in his cell. The corrections department suspects suicide.
• Inmate Simon Warren died April 14 after a suicide attempt, according to state prison officials.
• Kealy Williams, 37, died March 30 from injuries caused by a fight with another inmate, according to a corrections department statement.
• In August 2018, Joshua Roman died of injuries sustained in a fight, according to the corrections department.
• In July 2018, Herman Galeno, 31, was found unresponsive in his cell.
• In June 2018, David Cordova was found unresponsive in his cell.
• In April 2018, Joseph Pagen's death following a fight was investigated as a homicide, the corrections department said.
• In March 2018, Benjamin Snyder died following an inmate fight; the corrections department investigated his death as a homicide.