WAYCROSS -- Two men, including an escaped prisoner from the Clinch County Jail, are charged in the Thursday slaying of a Waycross
Lorenzo Burkes, 35, Homerville and Richard Isaiah Bell, 18, Waycross, were charged Friday with armed robbery and murder in connection with the death of 35-year-old Michael A. Meadows, according to Russell Mansfield, assistant special agent in charge of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's Douglas office.
Mansfield said the Waycross Police Department responded to a suspicious vehicle call at about 2:37 a.m. in the Garlington Heights housing projects off of Center Street. When officers arrived at the scene, they found Meadows, who had been fatally shot, inside of the vehicle. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Mansfield said Waycross police called the GBI to request crime scene technicians and assistance with the investigation.
Burkes, who escaped from the Clinch County Jail Aug. 22 by overpowering a guard, turned himself in to the Homerville Police Department before noon Thursday, police said.
Friday afternoon, he was transferred to the Ware County Jail.
To contact Tanya B. O'Berry, call 244-3400, ext. 239.
React to this story:
- Berrien teen dies in wreck
- Lowndes football enters quarantine
- More than 700 Lowndes students quarantined
- Valdosta bike rider killed in Brooks accident
- Georgia Bridgemen quarantined
- Health officials warn of Lowndes virus increase
- Lowndes head coach tests positive for COVID
- VFD: Arson cause of MLK Drive fire
- Lowndes COVID cases continue to rise
- Quiet Storm: Brooks County running back lets his game speak