VALDOSTA -- A 15-month-old boy has died after being struck by a vehicle in his driveway Thursday evening.
Lt. Brian Childress, public information officer for the Valdosta Police Department, said a call was received at about 5:28 p.m., saying a child had been struck by a vehicle in the 100 block of Princeton Lane.
When officers arrived, they discovered the boy had been backed over by a Jeep Cherokee in the driveway of the family residence.
The child was transported to
South Georgia Medical Center where he died.
"We were told a family friend had stopped by the house and they all thought the child was inside the home," Childress said.
"The woman then got into her vehicle to leave and accidentally backed over the child."
The name of the child has not been released because all family members had not been notified.
To contact Tanya B. O'Berry, call 244-3400, ext. 239.
React to this story:
- Armed march downtown calls for justice
- Downtown Valdosta will be blocked off for march Saturday
- Valdosta QB Garcia's eligibility under investigation by GHSA
- New chicken eatery expands to Valdosta
- TV series spotlights Wildcats football
- UPDATE: Valdosta couple charged with producing child pornography
- UPDATE: Two arrested, two sought in death of Valdosta teen in Florida
- 'Cat-ching fire: Jones, Valdosta erupt before halftime to rout Bainbridge
- Managing Lowndes: Dukes climbs long ladder to being county manager
- School enrollment down: City, county expect numbers to increase