VALDOSTA -- Two adults and one juvenile were charged with aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer on Friday morning, said Brian Childress, Valdosta Police Department.
At approximately 11 a.m., a member of the narcotics detective squad was serving three arrest warrants to Kendrick Rayford, 23, Maria Court. All three warrants were for the sale of marijuana, Childress said.
While the detective was making the arrest, Rayford resisted the officer by striking him in the head, Childress reported. When the detective and Rayford fell to the ground, Candice Casey, 19, and a juvenile who also lived at the residence began kicking the detective several times in the head, Childress said.
Also during the incident, one of the suspects actually bit the detective on the hand, according to the report.
The detective was taken to the hospital for treatment and later released.
The detective returned to duty on Friday afternoon, Childress said.
To contact reporter Rip Prine, please call 244-3400, ext. 237.
React to this story:
- Teen shot in Melrose Drive incident
- Grand jury drops murder charge against woman in Valdosta shooting
- Valdosta man dies in motorcycle wreck
- Police: Man killed in collision
- VSU student killed in Berrien accident
- Fla. bank takes over Valdosta firm
- Valdosta man indicted in fatal shooting
- GBI seeks help in Berrien death case
- From teaching to nursing: Graduate proves it's never too late to try something new
- For Black farmers, new promises come with old scars