Seven ranked teams will be among the 16 which have advanced to the GHSA Class A second round state basketball tournament beginning Thursday at Valdosta State.
Play begins Thursday with the second-ranked Echols County girls playing Savannah Country Day at 4 p.m. In the other girls game, No. 3 Taylor County will play Wheeler County at 7 p.m. The winners play a third-round game at 4:30 p.m. Saturday.
In boys games Thursday, No. 6 Seminole County plays Jenkins County at 5:30 p.m., with No. 4 Hawkinsville playing Taylor County at 8:30 p.m. The winners play a third-round game at 6 p.m. Saturday.
In girls games Friday, Montgomery County plays Miller County at 4 p.m., with top-ranked Jenkins County playing Clinch County at 7 p.m. The winners play at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
In boys games Friday, No. 5 Montgomery County plays Central Talbotton at 5:30 p.m. with No. 2 McIntosh County Academy playing Pelham at 8:30 p.m. The winners play at 9 p.m. Saturday.
Saturday's games are pushed back 30 minutes because of the Valdosta State-West Georgia college basketball doubleheader which begins at noon.
In other playoff games for area teams:
n Valdosta High's girls will play No. 4 Riverdale at 4 p.m. Friday at Savannah State. The winner will play the East Coweta-Houston County winner at 7 p.m. Saturday, also in Savannah.
n Brooks County High's girls will play No. 5 Macon County at 4 p.m. Friday at the Albany Civic Center. The winner will play the No. 2 Randolph-Clay vs. Vidalia winner at 7 p.m. Saturday, also in Albany.
n In the GISA Class AA semifinals, Georgia Christian's girls will play No. 2 Pinewood Christian at 4 p.m. Thursday at Georgia College in Milledgeville. The winner will play the No. 5 Briarwood-Terrell winner at 2 p.m. Saturday, also in Milledgeville, for the Class AA title.
- Valdosta students shot, stabbed in separate incidents
- Tropical Storm Ian: Valdosta could see 'low-level hurricane' winds
- County, city issue emergency declaration
- Kemp issues Ian state of emergency
- Lowndes battens down hatches: County preps for Ian impact
- UPDATE: South Georgia school closings: Lowndes, Valdosta close for Ian
- Lowndes County Food Scores
- Valdosta storm danger lessens
- Valwood crowns homecoming queen, king
- City OKs beer for downtown