The inaugural class of the Minority Business Development and Leadership Program will graduate tonight at 7 p.m. The graduation will take place in the multi-purpose room of City Hall Annex, 300 N. Lee St.
Mayor John J. Fretti and Dean Kenneth Stanley, Dean of the College of Business at Valdosta State University, will present certificates to approximately 15 participants.
"This program gives minority business leaders information and knowledge in order to be more competitive in the local market," Mayor Fretti said.
The City of Valdosta partnered with VSU and the Small Business Development Center in the summer of 2003 to create the program. After a survey of local minority business leaders was conducted by the Sociology Department at VSU, a nine-part curriculum for the program was developed. Classes began in September 2003.
The last class of the program, titled "Doing business with the city," will also take place tonight preceding the graduation.
React to this story:
- Man arrested after shots fired into cars, apartment
- SGMC preps for insurance change
- Game On: Gamers wait hours for latest consoles
- Moody airman killed in crash
- Valdosta man charged in school burglary
- Valdosta police officers bitten, kicked while making arrest
- South Georgia Sweethearts: Physician couple joins SGMC staff
- GBI: Nashville shooting victim's fatal wound self-inflicted
- Berrien County: Man shot during encounter with police dies
- Wild Adventures offers Black Friday soda