VALDOSTA -- The Valdosta Area Ministerial Alliance will conduct a Thanksgiving Community Service at 5 p.m. Sunday at St. John Catholic Church.
Moody Air Force Base Chaplain Capt. Daren Waters will be the featured speaker and will focus his sermon on the awareness of God's presence. His message to the world is that everyone matters to God and should matter to each other regardless of their racial, economic, social, ethnic, gender and political differences.
Valdosta Area Ministerial Alliance President Rev. George Bennett said others participating in the Thanksgiving Community Service include Rabbi Moshe Elbaz of Temple Israel, Rev. Dr. John Manning of Mark Missionary Baptist Church, Rev. Dr. Ronnie Mathis of Pleasant Temple Missionary Baptist Church, Father John O'Brien of St. John Catholic Church and Rev. Dr. Milton West of First Christian Church. In 2004, the service was held at First Christian Church.
Bennett said a portion of the Thanksgiving Community Service will be dedicated to honoring the victims of Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita living in Valdosta. Entertainment will be provided by the St. John Catholic Church Youth Choir, directed by Donna Farwell.
During the Thanksgiving Community Service, the Valdosta Area Ministerial Alliance will take up an offering for the Lowndes Associated Ministries to People Inc. A reception will follow at 6 p.m.
St. John Catholic Church is located at 800 Gornto Road.
React to this story:
- Body found in Lowndes river
- Valdosta man charged in Cook child's death
- Complaint: Racial retaliation follows principal's police brutality email
- Harden disqualified from school board election
- Man arrested in fatal weekend shooting
- Saving Moody: Thirty years ago, S.Ga. fought to keep base open
- Business Briefs
- RICHARDS: Business About Town
- Resident concerned about millage rate tax
- RICE: Qualified or not, stop moving goal post