VALDOSTA -- The body of a man was found in the vicinity of an off-ramp on I-75 Sunday afternoon.
Commander Steve Heaton, investigative bureau, Valdosta Police Department, said police were notified by 911 dispatchers at 3:59 p.m. Sunday that a body had been discovered near the northbound ramp at Exit 16 on I-75.
The patrol division responded and found the body, then called for additional units, consisting of a crime scene unit and the detective division.
Heaton said the man was identified as Allen Kranz, 57, of Lake City, Fla. His body was found in the bottom part of a ditch located in a grassy area near the ramp. Kranz's possessions, including a sleeping bag, were also found near the vicinity of his body, the commander said.
Heaton said there appeared to be no appearance of outside trauma to the body. The area where the body was found is known to be frequented by transients panhandling or seeking rides, he said.
Kranz's body was sent to the Crime Lab in Moultrie for an autopsy that revealed the cause of death was accidental drowning in a ditch full of water, said Walter Wacter, Lowndes County deputy coroner.
Kranz was last seen by his wife in Lake City at about noon Saturday, Wacter said
To contact reporter Rip Prine, please call 244-3400, ext. 237.
React to this story:
- Valdosta man dies in motorcycle wreck
- Fla. bank takes over Valdosta firm
- Five Vikings sign college baseball scholarships
- Valdosta man arrested in Remerton shooting
- Police: Man killed in collision
- Ossoff: Millions for S.Ga. schools
- For Black farmers, new promises come with old scars
- Grand jury drops murder charge against woman in Valdosta shooting
- Cause of Gables apartment fire electrical
- Vernon Jones brings governor's campaign to S.Ga.