Adam Nienow, a Valdosta High School senior, has been chosen as a competing alternate to the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., for the Class of 2008.
Nienow was selected as a nominee by U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston's First Congressional District Military Academy Board. Candidates from throughout South Georgia were interviewed in Valdosta on Dec. 23, 2003.
Nienow is commander of the Navy Junior ROTC unit at Valdosta High and a member of the Beta Club. He is also a member of the school newspaper, and he has been active in the Art Club, Drama Club and Boys State.
"Adam has excelled in the classroom and continued to be active in extracurricular activities and in his community," Kingston stated in a press release. "He has a bright future ahead of him and is a fine representative of Lowndes County."
Adam is the son of James and Karen Nienow of Valdosta.
The academies will announce their appointments for the class of 2008 during the spring.
React to this story:
- Valdosta man indicted on child porn charges: Authorities seek more information
- City schools modify quarantine plan
- UPDATE: Charges filed in LHS Pride flag incident
- A Georgia mother got an eviction notice. Then, she fought.
- Elvie Increases Access to its Revolutionary Femtech with the Launch of Elvie Stride, a Breast Pump Covered by Insurance
- DOJ investigating conditions, violence in Georgia prisons
- 50 Years & Counting: Barham hits half-century mark at Miller Hardware
- Change of pace: Tajh Sanders finds new football home at Valwood
- SGMC tops 400 virus deaths
- SGMC, Lowndes report 12 virus deaths