THOMASVILLE -- Make it a perfect 10 for Lowndes' boys.
The Lowndes boys basketball team defeated Valdosta, 53-37, in an All-Winnersville final Saturday night at the Thomasville Times-Enterprise/Reebok Holiday Hoopfest. In the process, the Vikings improved to 10-0 on the season, continuing the best start in school history.
The Vikings and Wildcats played three relatively even quarters. But the third quarter decided the game. Lowndes outscored its crosstown rival 19-2 in the third, turning a 22-21 halftime deficit into a 40-24 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
Valdosta tried to rally in the fourth, getting the first six points of the quarter, but Lowndes was able to slam the door on the rally with five straight points of their own.
All-tournament selection Will Thompson led Lowndes with 24 points, while tournament MVP Jon Rogers added 10. For Valdosta, Nick Bradley was the only player in double figures, scoring 10.
Girls final: Dillard 67, Lowndes 50
The Lowndes girls were not as successful in their tournament finale, falling 67-50 to a loaded Dillard team, the No. 1 team in Florida.
The first half was close, with Dillard leading 15-13 after one period and 32-25 at the half. But then Dillard outscored the Vikettes 21-10 in the third quarter, and the lead was in double digits the rest of the way.
Kristin McLeod, an all-tournament selection, led the Vikettes with 18 points.
More on the games in Monday's Valdosta Daily Times.
React to this story:
- Valdosta man dies in wreck
- Lowndes County Food Scores
- Valdosta apartment building burns
- County schools report 500-plus virus cases
- Corrections commissioner: 49% staff turnover in Georgia prisons
- Valdosta man faces firearms charge
- Ex-hospital worker arrested in SGMC data breach
- Hospital reports 77 virus patients, four COVID-19 deaths
- Hospital reports 66 virus patients
- K9 chase results in arrest