A group of Lowndes Middle School sixth-graders said farewell to their preschool book buddies from Children's Friends in Lake Park.
The 4-year-old Children's Friend students made frequent trips to Lowndes Middle School throughout the year to participate in small group reading sessions, read aloud sessions, and book-related arts and crafts.
On their final trip, the sixth-grade students presented their buddies with hardcover children's books to keep as a memento of their time together.
The project was funded by a Teacher Incentive Grant received by teacher Melanie Mares from the Lowndes Education Improvement Foundation.
The grant, given to approximately 20 teachers each year, provided funding for the books and materials required to complete the project.
Both the sixth graders and the preschoolers enjoyed the experience immensely. The older kids enjoyed mentoring and helping the younger children, and the preschool kids got important encouragement and help with crucial reading skills.
React to this story:
- Trump scheduled to visit Valdosta
- Trump in Valdosta: S.Ga. excited, outraged by presidential visit
- Georgia COVID-19 restrictions extended again
- Times working to confirm Trump rally
- Pair arrested for drugs, card fraud during traffic stop
- UPDATE: Tornado Warning expires
- Valdosta man arrested after high-speed car chase
- Valdosta police still seek missing mother, son
- Marshals arrest suspect in Valdosta stabbing death
- Lowndes adds 10 COVID-19 cases, SGMC reports five deaths