QUITMAN -- A Langboard employee died Saturday night after he fell about 90 foot from the crane he was operating.
Dewayne Andrews, 25, of Quitman, was operating the crane at the Langboard plant when it gave way, throwing him from the cab, said Brooks County Sheriff Richard Chafin.
Chafin said his deputies and EMS arrived at the scene to discover Andrews dead. Brooks County Coroner Ron Lipsey also responded to the scene.
The 911 call came in at 8:24 p.m.
Tommy Gibbs, plant manager at Langboard Inc., said the company and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, are conducting an investigation.
Because of this, he released few details pending the outcome of those investigations.
"We're doing everything in our power to complete a thorough investigation," Gibbs said. "Once the investigations are complete, the Langdale Company will issue a statement. Our sympathy is with the Andrews family at this time."
To contact Tanya B. O'Berry, call 244-3400, ext. 239.
React to this story:
- Berrien teen dies in wreck
- More than 700 Lowndes students quarantined
- Valdosta bike rider killed in Brooks accident
- Living a Long Life: Valdosta woman turns 106
- Health officials warn of Lowndes virus increase
- Georgia Bridgemen quarantined
- Lowndes head coach tests positive for COVID
- Man dies after fleeing law enforcement
- Lowndes football enters quarantine
- Lowndes COVID cases continue to rise