ADEL -- A tractor-trailer accident early Thursday morning along Interstate 75 near Adel resulted in the death of a Miami Beach man.
The accident, which claimed the life of Nelson Bernechea, 66, happened in the northbound lane of the construction zone at approximately 1:20 a.m.
The driver of a second tractor-trailer had stopped his vehicle in the traffic lane when he lost power, Cook County Coroner Ron Lipsey said.
Lipsey said the driver had nowhere to pull over as there are no emergency lanes on either side of the interstate.
The driver was outside motioning traffic around his vehicle with a flashlight when Bernechea approached the vehicle.
The driver hadn't had time to put flares out, Lipsey said.
"When he saw him not letting up on the gas, he jumped the wall and ran," Lipsey said.
The driver of the parked tractor-trailer escaped without injuries when the big rigs collided.
Cpl. Fitzgerald Williams, Georgia State Patrol Tifton Post 13, responded, Cpl. Stan Stalnaker said.
When the state patrol got to the scene, Bernechea was gasping for breath, Lipsey said.
He died while EMS was en route.
React to this story:
- Man charged after high-speed chase through Valdosta
- Father-Daughter Dance canceled for 2022
- Police seek 'armed and dangerous' murder suspect
- Man charged in chase that wrecked police car
- Four teens indicted for murder in Lowndes County
- UPDATE: Police car involved in accident
- Teen suspect in Valdosta slaying surrenders
- 3 men charged in Ahmaud Arbery's death convicted of murder
- Three in Tifton indicted in forced labor scheme
- Man arrested for receiving stolen vehicle