(Noir Comedy: 1 hour, 22 minutes); Starring: Will Friedle, Chris Owen, Rene Taylor, and Louise Lasser; Director: Gary Preisler; Rated: PG-13 (Strong language, sexual innuendo, violence, and mature themes)
Movie Review: George Calvin Menhoffer (Friedle) and Leonard "Lenny" Smallwood (Owen) are two 20-something-year-old slackers who try to make money by stealing it from others. They want the good life without having to work for it. However, they find out that crime is definitely not their game. Enter Betty and Doris Mundt (respectively played by Taylor and Lasser), two 70-year-old Jewish lady sisters, whom Calvin and Lenny tried to rob a day earlier. Betty and Doris drop the charges against Calvin and Lenny. In return, the young men must marry the old dames. Doris and Betty plan to marry the two and then kill them to collect on huge insurance policies. Calvin and Lenny think that marrying two wealthy ladies is a good way to earn money because, at Doris and Betty's age, death is certain to make their marriage short. But Dorothy and Betty are only pretending to be wealthy. Actually, they are so broke that they cannot pay attention. After months pass, the guys decide to kill their wives, who are trying to kill them, too.
"Gold Diggers" is a terrible movie and far under par. As it continues, "Gold Diggers" becomes worse. The screenplay is unbelievable and weak. The acting is mediocre at best. Apparently, the producers of "Gold Diggers" were not looking to make much money from this venture. "Gold Diggers," "National Lampoon's Gold Diggers," or "Lady Killers" are the many names in which this film has been known and either way, it is bad!
Grade: F (Even miners would leave this hole alone.)s
React to this story:
- Valdosta man dies in motorcycle wreck
- Fla. bank takes over Valdosta firm
- Five Vikings sign college baseball scholarships
- Valdosta man arrested in Remerton shooting
- Ossoff: Millions for S.Ga. schools
- Ga. lawmen pursue kidnapping suspect into Fla.
- Blade to Begin Trading Today on the Nasdaq Stock Market Under Ticker Symbol “BLDE”
- SGMC changes vaccine, testing processes
- Cause of Gables apartment fire electrical
- Vernon Jones brings governor's campaign to S.Ga.