Four men are charged in the Saturday death of a Pavo man investigators say was beaten to death during a fight.
Heracilo Antonio Cortex Gastelan, 26, Lamberto Mendoza, 27, Nicolas Garcia Martinez, 24, and Primo Martinez, 27, are charged with murder, aggravated assault concealing a death, kidnapping and armed robbery in connection with the death of Jorge Lopes Torres, 24, said Brooks County Sheriff Richard Chafin.
Deputies took the four into custody shortly after they discovered blood and a tennis shoe in a field across from the Mexican work camp., Chafin said Sunday. During interviews, investigators determined that after extensive drinking, a fight broke out at about 2 a.m, he said.
The four men remain in the Brooks County Jail. Torres' body was sent to the crime lab in Moultrie for an autopsy.
Chafin said the case was resolved more quickly through the efforts of Brooks County interpreter "Speedy" Gonzales. Chafin said Gonzales has volunteered his skills for nearly a decade.
React to this story:
- Lowndes COVID-19 cases up by nearly 100 overnight
- Big Nick's Back
- UPDATE: Police: Cook teen died in Valdosta shooting, suspect in custody
- Lowndes reports 1,552 COVID-19 cases; 3 deaths added
- EDITORIAL: Percentages don't mean anything: People are dying of COVID-19
- Dawson: SGMC COVID-19 patients rising but hospital prepared
- Lowndes County adds 60 more COVID-19 cases
- SGMC COVID patients rising, 39 new COVID-19 cases in Lowndes
- Women top Lowndes COVID-19 cases
- Smooth Sailing: New smoothie shop opens in Lake Park