VALDOSTA -- Lowndes County Commissioners voted to abandon portions of Valencia Street and Lake End Road during their Tuesday evening meeting.
Valencia Street will be abandoned from the intersection of Milano Street to the intersection with Rivera Prado, and Lake End Road will be abandoned from the intersection with Old Lake Park Road to its dead end.
A petition from concerned residents affected by the Lake End Road abandonment sparked commissioners to include the provision that an alternate road be available before officially abandoning.
A developer is currently working on an alternate road.
The third road for abandonment, Water Oak Trail, was tabled until the commissioner's Oct. 11 meeting due to a decision by the Greater Lowndes Planning Commission Monday.
Planning commissioners voted unanimously to recommend denial for a 17 building, 70-apartment complex on the eastern portion of Rolling Pine Drive and Water Oak Trail.
County Commissioner Richard C. Lee said he attended the planning meeting and thought it wise to table the abandonment until the apartment request is voted at the commission's Oct. 11 meeting.
Also during the county's meeting, commissioners G. Robert Carter and Richard C. Lee voted to approve an amendment with Peter Brown Construction to finalize costs for the jail expansion project, including the guaranteed maximum price. Total budget impact is listed as $5,537,262, coming from SPLOST funds.
Commissioner J. Edgar Roberts abstained from the vote.
Roberts said he abstained because he did not have time to review documents prior to the meeting.
- Lowndes County will be the pass-through agent for the Valdosta-Lowndes Chamber of Commerce's application for a $20,200 Local Development Fund Grant from the Department of Community Affairs.
- Beer and Wine Licenses were granted for the following establishments: Quick Change Convenience Stores at 3701 Madison Ave., 4592 N. Valdosta Road, and 2797 Highway 41 South.
- The board approved renewal of the ACCG-IRMA Liability Program.
- Commissioners approved the renewal of the Traylor Business Services contract for personal property auditing services.
- The part-time position of 4-H Extension Service was approved to move to a full-time position.
To contact Kenna Walsh, call 244-3400, ext. 237.
React to this story:
- Man arrested after shots fired into cars, apartment
- SGMC preps for insurance change
- Game On: Gamers wait hours for latest consoles
- Moody airman killed in crash
- Valdosta police officers bitten, kicked while making arrest
- Valdosta man charged in school burglary
- GBI: Nashville shooting victim's fatal wound self-inflicted
- Berrien County: Man shot during encounter with police dies
- Wild Adventures offers Black Friday soda
- Man arrested on drug, weapons charges