The Valdosta Daily Times
VALDOSTA – An apartment was severely damaged, but no injuries were reported after a fire broke out on the fifth floor of a downtown retirement center in the early hours of Saturday morning, said Valdosta Fire Chief J.R. Rice.
Firefighters responded to the Ashley House on Ashley Street at approximately 5:30 a.m. Saturday, according to Rice who said a secondary alarm was struck as an added precaution.
“We had to assist several of the residents because they had limited mobility, but no one was injured. The EMS truck was just there as a precaution,” said Rice. “The fire was contained to one apartment, which suffered significant damage, but there turned out to be very little structural damage.”
Neighboring apartments suffered only smoke damage, said Rice, and all the fire-exiled residents were able to return to their homes after carbon monoxide levels had receded into the safe zone.