Valdosta Daily Times

May 16, 2013

Cigarette causes Valdosta house fire

Jason Schaefer
The Valdosta Daily Times

VALDOSTA — A house fire caused by an improperly disposed cigarette caused substantial damage to a residence Wednesday night, leaving the home untenable to its owners.

At 7:51 p.m., the Valdosta Fire Department received a call to 2120 Gornto Road, where first responders identified heavy smoke issuing from the front of the structure, said Valdosta Fire Chief J.D. Rice.

Seven units responded to the fire — four engines and three support units including a command unit and investigators — and the fire was under control in a matter of minutes.

The fire was 25 percent involved, limited to the kitchen and dining area of the residence, and investigators believe the fire started from a cigarette that was not extinguished completely.

“I would advise anybody that smokes to make sure that when you finish, your cigarette is out completely,” Rice said. “And only dispose of them in an approved container, something non-combustible.”

There were no injuries to the occupant, listed as John Domer, but the resident was advised to find alternative lodging. The scene was cleared at 10:30 p.m.