Valdosta Daily Times

Top News

July 12, 2013

UN judges reinstate Karadzic genocide charge

THE HAGUE, Netherlands — Appeals judges at the United Nations’ Yugoslav war crimes tribunal reinstated Thursday a genocide charge against Radovan Karadzic linked to a campaign of killing and mistreating non-Serbs at the start of the Bosnian war in 1992.

The decision reversed the former Bosnian Serb president’s acquittal last year on one of the two genocide charges he faces, but it does not amount to a conviction.

Presiding Judge Theodor Meron said appeals judges believe that prosecution evidence presented at Karadzic’s trial “could indicate that Karadzic possessed genocidal intent” during a campaign in 1992 aimed at driving Muslims and Croats out of towns and villages claimed by Serbs as their territory.

The decision will draw out Karadzic’s trial on charges including orchestrating Europe’s worst massacre since World War II, the 1995 murder by Serb forces of 8,000 Muslim men and boys in the town of Srebrenica.

The ruling in The Hague came on the day survivors gathered in Srebrenica to mark the 18th anniversary of the massacre by reburying 409 recently identified sets of remains exhumed from mass graves.

Karadzic’s trial began in 2009, and prosecutors rested their case last year. Karadzic, who is defending himself in The Hague, called for acquittal on all 11 charges at the end of the prosecution case, saying there was insufficient evidence to convict him.

Judges rejected his request in all but the genocide charge covering the killings and mistreatment of non-Serbs in 1992 — the charge which has now been reinstated.

Karadzic also had argued that reinstating the charge would “disrupt the ongoing trial ... and would represent an irresponsible use of public funds,” Meron said.

The 68-year-old former Bosnian Serb leader showed no emotion as Meron ordered him to stand in court and told him the charge had been reinstated.

Peter Robinson, an American lawyer helping Karadzic with his defense, said his client was disappointed by the five-judge panel’s decision, “but he is taking on board their comments about the crimes and his intent and we are determined to go on and put on a strong case in the defense phase.”

 

1
Text Only
Top News
  • Johnson family files second suit against school system

    Two months after filing a civil suit against Lowndes County Schools, Kendrick Johnson's parents have filed a second suit against the school system which again claims that negligence and bullying led to their son’s death.

    July 29, 2014

  • Bears spotted on Baytree Road

    A pair of bear sightings along Baytree Road could indicate a growing black bear population in Lowndes County.

    July 29, 2014

  • photo.JPG Dump truck suspects apprehended

    LCSO has apprehended both of the suspects believed to be connected with the theft of a dump truck in Macon on Monday.

    July 29, 2014 1 Photo

  • Dollar Tree-Family Do_Rich copy.jpg Dollar Tree buys Family Dollar

    The fight for penny pinchers is intensifying.

    July 29, 2014 1 Photo

  • APTOPIX Mideast Israe_Rich copy.jpg Gaza war rages despite Hamas, Israel truce pledges

    Israel and Hamas launched new attacks Sunday in the raging Gaza war, despite going back and forth over proposals for a temporary halt to nearly three weeks of fighting ahead of a major Muslim holiday.
    The failure to reach even a brief humanitarian lull in the fighting illustrated the difficulties in securing a more permanent truce as the sides remain far apart on their terms.

    July 29, 2014 1 Photo

  • Ga. woman sentenced in child abuse case

    The mother of a 1-year-old boy who was hospitalized with a fractured skull in 2012 has been sentenced to nine years in prison.

    July 29, 2014

  • AP81072904918 copy.jpg Today in History for Tuesday, July 29, 2014

    Today is Tuesday, July 29, the 210th day of 2014. There are 155 days left in the year.

    July 29, 2014 1 Photo

  • United Way presents fundraising prom

    Save the date — and make sure to find one — for The Prom, a retro-celebration to benefit the Greater Valdosta United Way.

    July 29, 2014

  • Times hosts blood drive

    The Valdosta Daily Times will participate in a blood drive, 12:30-5:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, with the American Red Cross Bloodmobile visiting The Times’ 201 N. Troup St. parking lot.

    July 29, 2014

  • Free health fair planned for Quitman on Aug. 9

    A free health fair hosted by the 100 Black Men of Brooks-Grady-and-Thomas Counties, Inc. and sponsored by Archbold Hospital will take place Aug. 9  from 8 a.m.-noon. The second annual 100 B-G-T Health Fair will be located at the Courtland Avenue Church of Christ in Quitman. All Valdosta-Lowndes County residents are welcome to attend.

    July 29, 2014

Top News
Poll

Do you agree with the millage rate increases?

Yes. We need to maintain services
No. Services should have been cut.
     View Results