The Valdosta Daily Times
For many, Thanksgiving is about sharing time with family over a large, homecooked meal. However, there are many who are unable to enjoy these things due to economic hardships in their lives. Numerous organizations in Valdosta are making it their goal to allow everyone to be able to enjoy the delicious food and fellowship that Thanksgiving entails. The following are some of the events that will be occurring in town. If you have a similar event you would like featured, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Kemet Universal Family Electa Chapter No. 323, The Sons of Solomon No. 151 Lodge, and the St. John AME Church will be at Mr. B’s Market on Saturday, Nov. 23 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to collect donations of clothing, food, supplies and monetary donations. A day of caring, sharing and giving will be held at St. John AME Church on Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 28) from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• The 100 Black Men of Valdosta will be hosting their 19th annual Thanksgiving Foodfest this Saturday at the Salvation Army on the corner of Troup Street and Smithland Place starting at 10 a.m.
• A boston butt fundraiser is being held at Sam’s BBQ, located at 414 E. Hill Ave., Valdosta, Ga. 31601, with all proceeds going to the Thanksgiving Day Celebration “Feeding the Needy.” The boston butts are being sold for $25 and distributed on Tuesday and Wednesday. The “Feeding the Needy” event will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be clothes and coats given away, fellowshipping with friends, feast of turkey, ham and all the trimmings. For more information, Sam’s BBQ can be contacted at (229) 247-0769.
• V96 along with Heavenly Car Care and the Mathis Auditorium, will be hosting “V96 Holiday Feast!” on Nov. 28. This is the first annual celebration and will be held at Mathis Auditorium from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Individuals and businesses are invited to sponsor the event by way of food contributions or volunteers to help with the event. Donations of turkey, ham, yams, pies, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, cornbread (Jiffy), dinner rolls, plastic plates, plastic utensils, plastic cups and paper towels would all be greatly appreciated. For more information, contact James Bradley at Heavenly Car Wash via telephone number (229) 469-7257.
• Second Harvest of South Georgia will distribute nearly 4,000 food boxes to those in need on Tuesday, Nov. 26. A donation of $5 can ensure that one family has food this Thanksgiving. Each box given away will contain 20 pounds of food, which should be able to feed a family of four for a week. Sponsorships can come from individuals, families, churches or businesses. To sponsor a box or get more information, Second Harvest can be contacted via e-mail at email@example.com or call (229) 244-2678, ext. 207.
For more on this story and other local news, subscribe to The Valdosta Daily Times e-Edition, or our print edition.