Valdosta Daily Times

October 6, 2012

No doubt about it: Vikings roll

Lowndes puts aside distractions to blow out Pirates Friday

Ed Hooper
The Valdosta Daily Times

VALDOSTA — Lowndes head coach Randy McPherson said his team wasn’t distracted this week at practice, despite allegations the Vikings cheated in their win over rival Colquitt County last Friday night.

The Vikings’ focus showed Friday night, when they blew out the Brunswick Pirates 52-8 at Martin Stadium to improve to 6-0 on the year and 2-0 in region play.

“They did (play focused),” McPherson said. “They were ready to go. We had a good game plan, and I am proud of them.”

Up next for the Vikings is rival Valdosta in the Winnersville Classic.

Senior Tiquan Lang dominated on both sides of the football Friday night. The dual-threat standout made his presence felt on both offense and defense.

Lang scored the Vikings’ first touchdown of the game on a 5-yard run on the opening possession, and finished with 94 yards rushing. Defensively, he recorded three interceptions, the first of which set up a Lowndes touchdown pass at the end of the first half.

“It feels real good,” Lang said. “My team came out and played tonight. … The coaches kept our heads right and told us not to listen to any outsiders. You know, we play as a team. … You have to take it one game at a time. We are going to come out and play next week in a zone.”

McPherson had nothing but praise for Lang’s performance following Friday’s game.

“Tiquan is a good player,” McPherson said. “He is one of those guys that we can use on both sides of the ball.”

The Vikings had little problem moving the ball, racking up 475 yards of total offense against the Pirate defense.

Nick Burgman finished with 104 yards rushing on six carries, with a pair of rushing touchdowns to go along with a first quarter receiving touchdown. Ahman Brown finished with 69 yards rushing and two scores, while Tevin Brown added a rushing and receiving touchdown.

Lowndes quarterbacks Alex Stephenson and Seth Carlo both threw touchdown passes on the night. Carlo connected with Burgman for a 31-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter that gave the Vikings a 13-0 lead. Stephenson tossed a 25-yard touchdown pass to Tevin Brown that put Lowndes ahead 38-8 late in the first half.

“It was definitely a good night for us,” McPherson said. “I think we are getting better.”

Lowndes opened the scoring with an 8-play, 99-yard drive capped off by Lang’s 5-yard touchdown run.

Following a 20-minute delay due to a Brunswick injury, the Vikings recorded two quick scores to take a 21-0 lead. Carlo and Brown connected on their touchdown, followed by a 12-yard touchdown run by Ahman Brown, who also scored the two-point conversion to put Lowndes ahead 21-0.

After a 34-yard field goal by Gustavo Gonzales, which increased the Vikings’ lead to 24-0, Tre’ Jackson recovered a Brunswick fumble to set up Ahman Brown’s second rushing touchdown of the night, a 5-yard run up the middle. Lowndes led 31-0 with 8:48 remaining in the first half.

Backup quarterback Lavosh Wynn put the Pirates on the scoreboard with a 68-yard touchdown run. He then threw a two-point conversion to make the score 31-8, the Pirates’ only points of the night.

The Vikings concluded the first half scoring with a 25-yard touchdown pass from Stephenson to Tevin Brown.

Lowndes added to its lead in the third quarter while managing to run time off the clock. Burgman found the end zone on a 10-yard touchdown run, his second of the night, followed by Tevin Brown’s 17-yard touchdown run, which was aided by a massive bone-crushing block from Stephenson.

Brown’s touchdown capped the scoring as the junior varsity team played the entire fourth quarter.

Friday’s game was delayed for nearly 20 minutes midway through the first quarter when several Viking defenders sacked Brunswick quarterback Cory Dixon, who remained motionless on the field. Dixon was placed on a stretcher and lifted into an ambulance before the game resumed.

During the injury, the entire crowd at Martin Stadium remained seated and nearly silent while medical staff worked to stabilize Dixon and load him into the ambulance. While Dixon was motionless on the field, a moment of a silence was held throughout the stadium.

It was later announced through the stadium’s public address speakers that Dixon had been released from South Georgia Medical Center under his own power.