The Valdosta Board of Education adopted the plan for elementary rezoning at the regular meeting held on Monday, March 24.
The new map is now available on the Valdosta City Schools’ website at www.gocats.org.
Along with the adoption, the board also recommended the following:
1. Letters to be sent out to families impacted by the redistricting by March 28, 2014.
2. Families displaced from their current school of attendance must submit an intent form stating they wish to remain at their current school. All intent forms will be accepted by the district office beginning April 1, 2014 through April 30, 2014 and are subject to approval by the Superintendent. There will be no considerations after the deadline date has passed. The approval of intent forms will be based on available space in order of receipt by the Superintendent.
3. The current request to transfer within the system form will be modified to remove the reason “Other.” HB 251 “Public Schools Choice” procedures will continue to be advertised and followed annually.
4. All decisions made by the superintendent are final.
Please be reminded that throughout this process the Valdosta Board of Education and the redistricting committee have utilized the following guiding principles:
1. Provide the best educational experience for all students by minimizing disruptions caused by overcrowding.
2. Create realistic boundaries for each elementary school, maintaining the integrity of as many neighborhoods as possible.
3. Provide the best utilization of available space for continued growth.
4. Ensure a feasible, cost effective and efficient transportation plan.
The superintendent’s office is located at 1204 Williams St. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The administration would like to thank the community for their patience and open dialogue during this process and are committed to making this a smooth transition for everyone involved.
For more information about the redistricting process, please contact Valdosta City Schools at (229) 333-8500.