Valdosta Daily Times

What We Think

September 29, 2009

Rant & Rave for Wednesday, September 30, 2009

To the ranter that said we would be better off “if poor people ran the government." Until about 40 years ago, Jamaica was run by the British. When the British ran Jamaica all children attended free public school. Now, the Jamaicans have been running Jamaica, for about 40 years. Today in Jamaica, 5 percent of the children have to pay to go to school and the other 95 percent live in ghettos and do not attend school.



A huge thumbs up for the young man directing traffic around the silver haired older man sweeping up the glass, plastic and chrome parts off St. Augustine Road Saturday morning after a wreck happened in front of Advance Auto Parts. These two men are what America is about, people helping people, avoiding a possible flat tire. Three atta boys to those two men.



Congratulations to the Berrien High School Rebel Regiment for scoring all superior ratings at the band competition in Hawkinsville.



I'd like to send a rave out to Dixon's Wrecker Service and Firestone for getting our car ready to go so quickly. Now our newborn son will have a ride home after all.



I live in Brooks County in a double-wide, 16-year-old trailer. My taxes are as high as the taxes on a $200,000 home in Tallahassee, Fla. Can the Brooks County Commissioners explain this?



SGMC can fix everything at their hospital but they need to fix the air conditioners on 3 South and 4 South.



Hey, I have a new brilliant idea on solving the problem of paying out more Social Security than is taken in. Why not just pay Social Security benefits to those who have paid into Social Security and stop making payments to welfare cases? We have other departments for that.



How about a decent book store in this town? Oh, and I would like a Whole Foods too.



Blind faith in American health care is getting us nowhere. Check the systems of other countries like Germany and Switzerland, where competition and capitalism are still very much a part of the system. Care is universal and better quality than in America.



Valdosta has a lot of pretty women. However, the kind of women who choose to cruise around undressed are probably not the most attractive. Consider the source.

1
Text Only
What We Think
  • Vote to remove signs

    Congratulations to the winners in the primary runoff election Tuesday.

    July 23, 2014

  • Runoff election counts today

    Today is an election day that started just a little more than two months ago.

    July 21, 2014

  • PSST! Only one week left

    Peach State Summer Theatre enters its final week of performances for the 2014 season. This means there are only a few more opportunities left to see “Mary Poppins,” “Smokey Joe’s Cafe,” and “42nd Street.”

    July 20, 2014

  • The wisdom of animals

    Animals may be smarter than us. If you don’t think so take a look at how we humans deal with the oppressive heat of summer. Compare our activities with those of animals.

    July 19, 2014

  • Welcoming home the ‘Unseen Project’

    Two months ago, they embarked on an ambitious endeavor: Two friends, riding on motorcycles criss-crossing the United States, followed by a film crew, on a faith-based tour to find America the Unseen.

    July 17, 2014

  • A downtown church’s faith

    First Baptist Church made a leap of faith this past weekend.

    July 16, 2014

  • Overpass has double potential

    They say it will be here sooner than we think.

    July 16, 2014

  • Precautions for what’s left of summer

    Summer is a time of rest, vacations and trips. It is a time when school is out, when people take time off from work, when people may stay out a little later. It is a time of swimming, trying new things, and seeking adventure.

    July 14, 2014

  • Golf tourney battles cancer

    Battling cancer seems a never-ending war. Yet, for anyone who has ever had cancer, for anyone who has a friend or relative who has struggled against cancer, it is a battle worth waging.

    July 13, 2014

  • Valdosta: Time for a hard look

    Last week was a tough one for Valdosta. A national survey named Valdosta as the nation’s fastest-shrinking city. A report listed Valdosta State Prison in a three-way tie for the state’s second most violent prison.

    July 12, 2014

Top News
Poll

School starts again in about two weeks. What do you think?

It's still summer. School starts too soon.
Seems like the right time to return.
Abolish summer recess. Make school year-round.
     View Results