Answers to FAQs:
• House Bill 386 passed by the 2012 Georgia General Assembly will go into effect March 1, 2013.
• the Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) rate will start at 6.5 percent March 1, 2013; it will increase to 6.75 percent Jan. 1, 2014; and it will increase again to 7 percent Jan. 1, 2015.
• the TAVT will not exceed 9 percent after Dec. 31, 2015.
• drivers who lease their vehicles will not be responsible for the TAVT; the leasing company will.
• non-titled vehicles that do not meet the statutory definition of a motor vehicle (trailers, pull-behind campers, any vehicle for which a title cannot be issued) will be taxed the annual ad valorem tax.
• salvage vehicles will be charged a 1 percent TAVT rate.
• the TAVT will not apply when a title is corrected, replaced or reissued to the same owner.
• vehicles acquired by veterans who would otherwise receive an exemption from ad valorem tax will also be exempt from the TAVT.