Valdosta Daily Times

Local News

January 16, 2013

Suspects arrested in murder, arson cases

MORVEN — Three men have been arrested in relation to incidents surrounding a weekend shooting death, and another person has been arrested in connection to a retaliatory Tuesday morning arson case at the murder scene, according to the Valdosta Police Department.

Clarence Andrew Casey, 25, of Valdosta is charged with malice murder in the Sunday morning shooting death of Alfred Pierre Bradley Jr., 24, at T&D Snack & Fashions, 1401 N. Troup St., said Valdosta Police Cmdr. Brian Childress.

Radcliffe Eady, 23, of Valdosta is charged with aggravated assault, tampering with evidence and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, Childress said, in relation to an incident a short time prior to the shooting at the same location.

Michael Green, 23, of Valdosta is charged with felony party to the crime of aggravated assault, Childress said.

At approximately 4:15 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 13, Valdosta police and emergency-medical personnel were dispatched to the Troup Street establishment in response to a shooting. Bradley was pronounced dead, shot once in the back of the head, authorities said.

Valdosta police investigators had suspects by Sunday evening and had all suspect names by Monday, Childress said. The three suspects were arrested Tuesday and were all in the Lowndes County Jail Tuesday afternoon.

More arrests are expected in the shooting; additional charges may be added.

“I’m proud of our detectives with the Valdosta Police Department and with members of the Federal Bureau of Investigation Gang Task Force that assisted with this case,” Childress said. “They have worked non-stop since 4:30 a.m. Sunday through Tuesday afternoon on this case.”

Childress would not state possible motives for the assault and murder. He said the case is not considered gang related; the FBI Gang Task Force assisted by providing additional manpower for the investigation.

In addition to working the crime scene and the case, Childress and police detectives issued warnings against retaliation for the shooting.

Yet, less than 48 hours after the shooting death, Valdosta police and firefighters responded to an arson at T&D Snack & Fashion Tuesday morning.

At approximately 2 a.m. Tuesday, firefighters responded to a fire at the establishment, said Valdosta Fire Chief J.D. Rice.

Fire officials and police soon characterized the blaze as an arson. Someone attempted to set the back of the building on fire with a flammable liquid. It failed to catch, Rice said. Someone then threw an incendiary device, similar to a Molotov cocktail, through a window, starting the fire.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, causing little damage to the building. Rice estimated that less that $10,000 worth of damage was done to the property.

Childress said the arson is in apparent retaliation for the shooting Sunday morning.

Travon Johnson, 23, is charged with felony arson, Childress said.

The commander said a joint investigation between the Valdosta Fire Department and the Valdosta Police Department led to the arrest.

Text Only
Local News
Top News

Do you agree with the millage rate increases?

Yes. We need to maintain services
No. Services should have been cut.
     View Results