Valdosta Daily Times

Local News

January 10, 2014

Late night fire destroys residence

VALDOSTA — At approximately midnight Wednesday night, Valdosta firefighters responded to a fully involved fire on 2nd Avenue.

Terri Jenkins, Red Cross South Georgia Chapter executive director, said the fire was caused by a space heater. Jenkins reported that the fire engulfed the house and resulted in extreme damage to the interior of the home. The home was believed to be a total loss.

Members of the Red Cross responded to the scene and supplied the family of nine with hotel stay, food and clothing.  

“We have had high fire activity in the last few weeks. We are trying to get out fact sheets and information to the community so that they can be aware of the dangers and how to be safe,” said Jenkins.

The Red Cross home heating fires fact sheet can be found at: http://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m4340085_FireHomeHeatingFactSheet.pdf

The Times attempted to reach the Fire Department for comment but were unable to receive any information prior to press time.

1
Text Only
Local News
Top News
Poll

Do you agree with the millage rate increases?

Yes. We need to maintain services
No. Services should have been cut.
     View Results