Valdosta Daily Times

October 6, 2012

Two vehicles totaled, drivers injured in traffic accident

Jason Schaefer
The Valdosta Daily Times

VALDOSTA — A traffic accident on Rocky Ford Road off U.S. 84 Friday resulted in the destruction of two vehicles, injuries to two drivers and the death of a dog.

The accident involved a red Honda Del Sol with Georgia plates, a gray Chevrolet pickup truck with a Florida plate in front and a Georgia plate in back and a blue semi tractor-trailer.

Just after 3 p.m., the pickup truck, which was reportedly swerving in and out of traffic lanes and exceeding speeds of 70 miles per hour, rapidly approached the left side of a semi, said Kevin Weiland of Chicago, Ill., the driver of the semi.

Weiland saw the truck in his spot mirror and swerved to the right to avoid an impact, he said. The semi was left with a small scratch on its left front fender, but the truck struck the rear of the Del Sol.

“It happened that fast,” Weiland said, snapping his fingers.

Weiland brought his semi to a stop after about 200 feet, he said, but the car and truck continued moving forward

 The truck rolled over and came to a stop on its roof 120 yards in front of the semi.

The Del Sol continued forward, destroying two mailboxes, and came to a stop 240 yards in front of the truck.

The Del Sol was going the speed limit, Weiland said.

The Georgia State Patrol responded to the accident, and the Lowndes County Sheriff’s Office provided support directing traffic.

A brown dog was also killed in the incident. Witnesses claim the dog was in the truck with the driver, but could not confirm whether it was in the bed or in the cab.

A witness not wishing to be named followed the truck for about five minutes before the accident, he said.

He was on the phone with his place of business in Valdosta, and asked his co-workers to dial 911 and report a drunk driver.

“He was all over the road, on both sides,” the witness said. “He ran over the shoulder past Kinderlou.”

The drivers of the truck and the car were taken from the scene in ambulances, according to witnesses. Attempts were made to contact the GSP, but troopers could not be reached as of press time to confirm the status of the victims.